How to Get Your Verification of Enrollment (VOE) Form

If you’re planning to apply for your permit or driver license, you’re going to need a form called the VOE, or Verification of Enrollment. This is the state’s way of making sure your school attendance and grades are decent before they let you start driving around.

You can get it from your high school if they allow you to request the form from your school office. You’ll need this form when applying for your permit.

If you are not in high school but are getting your GED instead, you’ll need to bring the form to your GED program’s office and get them to sign as the administrator.

If you are home-schooled, here’s how to fill out the VOE:

  1. Write “Home School” or the name of your home school on the top left corner of the form and your county on the top right corner of the form.
  2. Check the first box, indicating your student is enrolled in a home school.
  3. Type or print the student’s name.
  4. Type or print one parent’s name and phone number in Administrator/Designee section.
  5. Both the student and the parent must sign and date the form.
The VOE proves you have good grades
You’re gonna have to do some homework if you want to get a license.

How to Get It

Fill out the Verification of Enrollment form, which needs to be signed by both you and your parent or guardian. Bring the VOE to the administrator’s office at your school and ask to get it signed. The school administrator will fill in their name, title, phone number, and the issuance date.

The VOE should be signed by you, your parent, and a school administrator
Signing the VOE isn’t this big of a deal.

When to Get It

It might take a day or longer for your school to issue your VOE, so it’s wise to request it about a week before you plan to head to the DPS. The issuance date on the VOE is kinda important, because the form expires after 30 days if you get it signed during the school year. For those of you thinking, What about summer? Don’t worry. As long as you get your VOE signed within the last five days of the school year, it will stay valid all summer long until school starts again in the fall. If you need to get your VOE during summertime, your school district’s administrative office should still be open and available for this.

Summer permit tip: If you get your learner’s permit and want to knock out your behind-the-wheel hours over the summer, remember the one-hour limit. Driving six hours in one day on that family road trip isn’t a good idea. If you’re doing Texas Parent Taught Driver’s Ed, your practice logs should only show one hour of driving per day.

Get driving practice on a summer road trip
Make sure those summer driving hours count!

What if I Don’t Go to High School?

All permit and license applicants under the age of 18 must submit a VOE or an acceptable equivalent. If you have already graduated or earned your GED, submitting your diploma will do the trick. If you’re still working towards a GED, get the VOE filled out by an administrator at your GED program’s office. Homeschoolers can have their parent count as the administrator. Students of all kinds just need to check the appropriate box on the form for the type of school they are attending.

High school grads can use a diploma instead of the VOE
Grads can substitute a diploma for the VOE
Want to make sure you have all your paperwork ready when it’s time to go get your permit or driver license? Check out Aceable’s handy list of What to Bring to the Texas DPS.