Illinois Secretary of State (SOS) Vehicle Services
The Illinois Secretary of State office (SOS) has been lead by Jesse White, who was elected to the position in 1998. The SOS maintains a database of nearly 9 million drivers and over 10 million motor vehicles registered in the state of Illinois.
Illinois motorists know Secretary White’s office as the place to obtain a driver’s license or license plates, register for organ donation, obtain driver and vehicle records, and much more. This guide is intended to help residents of Illinois find the nearest Secretary of State facility, obtain online services, find necessary documents to obtain a driver license or register a vehicle, and more.
Find an Illinois Secretary of State Location
There are dozens of Secretary of State facilities throughout the state of Illinois. From Chicago to Carbondale, you can find a driver services location near you. use the official facility finder to search for the location closest to you!
Information For First Time Drivers
- Illinois Drivers Education – Adults in Illinois can complete drivers education requirements in as little as 6 hours. This online course can be taken from a PC, smartphone or tablet.
- How To Get Your Illinois Driver License – A step-by-step guide to obtaining your learners permit and driver license in Illinois.
- Guide for New Illinois Drivers – If you’re looking to obtain your first driver license, or new to the state of Illinois altogether, make sure to check out this helpful guide from the SOS.
- Auto Insurance Requirements – Illinois motorists must comply with state minimums for mandatory auto insurance. Drivers must carry proof of insurance whenever operating a vehicle. Find out more.
- Organ Donation Registration – More than 120,000 people are waiting for a transplant in the United States, with 22 people dying each day waiting for a donor. Register to give the gift of life today!
Vehicle Registration and Titles
- Title and Registration Overview – Everything you need to know about registering your vehicle and obtaining a title in the state of Illinois.
- Title and Registration Application – The Electronic Registration and Title (ERT) System greatly speeds up the process of vehicle transactions. Find out everything you need to know, including fees and necessary documents
- Expedited Title Service – Need your title in a hurry? The SOS offers an expedited service that allows you to obtain a title as early as tomorrow for a nominal fee.
- Vehicle History – Purchase a vehicle history report to help you buy a reliable vehicle!
- Commercial Vehicles and Farm Trucks – Find out everything you need to know about registering commercial and farm vehicles, including farm plates, heavy vehicle use taxes, truck fees and more.
- Address Change – All motorists must inform the SOS of address changes within 10 days. Update your address on your driver license and registration online
Illinois License Plates
- Illinois License Plate Overview – A comprehensive guide to obtaining, renewing and customizing license plates in Illinois.
- License Plates Renewal – Renew your license plate online.
- Pick-a-Plate – Want a vanity plate? Find out about requirements and fees about personalized license plates here!
Fees and Forms
- Secretary of State Vehicle Service Fees – A list of basic fees for license plate renewal, ID card replacement, vehicle stickers and more.
- SOS Forms – A complete collection of forms you can download as PDFs. THese forms are required for many SOS services, including applying for an Illinois driver license or ID card, reinstating driving privileges after a DUI, and much more.