Step 1. Begin Driver’s Ed with Aceable
The state of Nevada requires that all teens complete driver’s ed and acquire their learner’s permit prior to being eligible for a proper driver’s license. Once you turn 15 ½, you are eligible to begin driver’s ed.
Aceable offers an online, state-approved driver’s ed course with tons of engaging content, videos, memes, and more to keep you entertained as you work your way through the rules of the road.
What to expect:
- A DMV-licensed course
- The ability to stop and start at your convenience
- A certificate of completion emailed to you within 2 hours of course conclusion
- 6 months of free, Allstate Roadside Assistance included
Step 2. Obtain your Nevada Learner’s Permit
Now that you’re at least 15 ½ and have begun your driver’s ed course, it’s time to start getting your ducks in a row for the learner’s permit process.
You will not need to have completed your driver’s ed course until you go in for the driving test further down the road. However, your driver’s ed course is going to be extremely helpful as you prepare for your permit test. Not only will the curriculum assist you but there are also study tools available in the program.
You will need to additionally get your hands on a Nevada DMV Driver’s Handbook. This will be an invaluable tool for studying for the exam.
When you go in for your exam, bring along:
- A completed Driver's License, Driver Authorization Card, or Identification Card Application (Form DMV 002). Be sure your parent/guardian signs the financial responsibility section.
- Proof of Identity (birth certificate)
- Proof of Social Security (SS card)
- A completed Certification of Attendance (Form DMV 301) from your school
What to expect:
- A written exam
- 50 multiple choice questions of which you must get 80% correct
- A vision test
- A $23.25 licensing + a $26.00 testing fee
If you pass your exam on your first attempt, you will receive your copy in the mail in about 10 business days.
Understand that your learner’s permit has restrictions because its purpose is just that; for you to learn. You must always be accompanied by an adult who is at least 21 years old, has had their license for one year, and is sitting in the passenger seat.
Step 3. Time to Get Behind-the-Wheel
Now that you have your permit, it’s time to get behind that wheel and start your hands-on training. With the help of your chosen instructor (parent/guardian or any 21-year-old licensed driver), you will need to start logging practice hours.
You must log 50 hours of accompanied drive time, 10 of which are at night, and complete your driver’s ed course. Log your hours here.
Step 4. Get your Driver’s License!
You’ve turned 16 and there’s only one thing on your mind: your driver’s license. The freedom and excitement of the open road are near! Congratulations. Let’s make sure you have everything you need before you go in for your road test.
- Completed driver’s ed and received an emailed copy of your certificate of completion
- Logged 50 hours of drive time with 10 hours at night
- Recorded your hours on the experience log
- Had your permit for at least 6 months
- A clean driving record with no accidents that were your fault or convictions
If all of those points apply to you, you’re ready to go!
- Your learner’s permit
- A parent/guardian to sign the financial responsibility statement and affidavit
- Your complete driver’s log
- A vehicle to take your test in with insurance and registration
- A form of proof of your identity from the approved list
- Driver’s license fee
Upon completion of the test with a passing score (fingers crossed), you will get your license in the mail in around 10 business days. Woot woot!
Make sure you pay close attention to curfew rules so that you get to keep that new license you worked so hard to get. In downtown Reno and The Strip, you are not permitted to drive after 10 pm. Anywhere else in the state, you are allowed to drive until 10 pm Sunday to Thursday and 12 am Friday to Saturday.
Enjoy and be safe out there. And from all of us at Aceable, thank you for choosing us to guide you through your road to the road!