California Driver License or Identification Card Application (DL 44 or DL 44 C)
The DL 44 and DL 44C refer to the “Driver License or Identification Card Application” and “Commercial Driver License Application,” respectively.
What to use these forms for
These forms allow you to apply for, renew, replace (duplicate for a lost or stolen driver license or identification card) your driver license or identification card. You can also use a DL 44 or DL 44C to change the current class of your driver license.
Information to have on hand
Unfortunately, you cannot download the DL 44 or DL 44c forms online as each form has a unique barcode that must be scanned by a DMV employee. You can stop by your local DMV office in person or call 1-800-777-0133, a 24/7 automated DMV telephone service that will mail you the form.
You will need to provide a variety of information depending on what you’re using the form for:
Applying for a new license:
- Proof of Social Security number
- Proof of your full and legal name
- An original or certified document that proves your birth date and legal presence (such as a U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport)
- Proof of your California residency (such as a mortgage bill, utility bills, or a rental/lease agreement signed by your landlord).
Replacing a lost license:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of residency
If you are applying for a new license, you will have to pay the $35 drivers license fee.
If you are replacing a lost license, expect to pay the following fees:
- Class C driver license: $28.
- Commercial Class C: $33.
- Commercial Class A or B: $33.
Please note that the California DMV does not accept credit cards. Acceptable forms of payment include personal checks, money orders, and debit cards.