How to Replace a Lost Car Title in Nevada

How to Replace a Lost Car Title in Nevada

Losing or having your car title stolen is stressful! Luckily the process to apply for a duplicate title from the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) isn’t too difficult plus we here at Aceable have made a guide to simplify the process of replacing that car title!

Apply for a Duplicate Title In Nevada

There are two ways to request a replacement title In Nevada, by mail or in person at the DMV.

You will need the following items for your replacement title:

  • A notarized Application for Duplicate Nevada Certificate of Title (Form VP012) - The form MUST be notarized before you take it to your local NV DMV office or before you mail it into the DMV
  • You will also need payment in the form of a check or a money order for the duplicate title fee that is payable to Nevada DMV 555 Wright Way, Carson City, NV 89711
  • Note: the fee is $21 if the vehicle is in Nevada, $35 if the vehicle is in a different state, and $8.25 title processing fee if you change the ownership of the vehicle.

You can also request to have the processing for your duplicate Nevada Title be expedited. For this you will need the following:

  • A completed Application for Expedited processing of Nevada Title (Form VP-265)
  • A $20 per title expedited title processing fee plus $20 per package fee for expedited title shipping Replacing an out of state title

If you are out of your state and need to replace your title, you will need to submit a written statement from the state agency of the state you are currently in requesting the duplicate title. This statement must include a complete vehicle description including model, VIN, and make. It must say that the Nevada Certificate of title has not been surrendered to them.

Never got your original Title?

If you never received your original title, you will need to complete a Lost Title Affidavit (Form VP-206). This form also says that you will surrender the original title if you find it.

Adding or Dropping Names on your Nevada car Title

Without a title Lienholder

Sign the title like you are selling it and put the new names in the buyer section. Use the legal name on your driver's license.

  • If the title says ‘person 1’ AND ‘person 2’ then both have to sign the title
  • If the title says ‘person 1’ OR ‘person 2’, either party can sign

If the vehicle is not registered or operational, you can change the title without obtaining insurance, smog check or registration. You must bring the title into a local nevada DMV office in this situation.

If the car will be registered and driven you will need Nevada Liability insurance under the same name or names that will be on the new registration and title. If your vehicle requires a smog check then you must have a new test done if the previous one is over 90 days old.

You will then need to bring the signed title, current registration, and smog check to the NV DMV office to re-register the car. (You will get credit for the unused portion of the current registration)

If you are changing your name on the title you will need to bring a legal document that shows the change.

With a Lienholder

If someone holds a lien on your title then you must ask them to approve the change.

The lienholder will have to apply for the new title and issue you a letter that includes the vehicle identification number, stating that they will apply for the new car title. You can also satisfy the lien and then bring the signed titled to the DMV.