Does this course include the state-approved DPS written test?
The state-approved DPS written test will be provided to you at the end of Level 3 (the first six hours of the course). This means that you won’t need to take the written test at the DPS! The test will consist of 30 multiple-choice questions. You’ll have one hour to complete the test and you must score at least 70% or better (at least 21 out of 30 questions correct) in order to pass and go on to the next level. If you fail the test, you can take it again 24 hours later. There is no limit on how many times you can take the test and you don’t have to pay again to take it more than once.
What do I bring to the DPS to get my license?
- DE-964 License Certificate/Certificate of Completion (we e-mail this to you)
- Your parent or legal guardian
- Your permit (must be held for at least 6 months)
- Proof of insurance – Your name does not need to be on the car insurance
- Current registration and inspection sticker
- Two license plates (front and back)
- ITTD program certificate of completion (expires after 90 days)
- Certificate of Completion from your driving school
- Verification of Enrollment (VOE)
- $11 Provisional License Fee (cash, credit, check, or money order)
What do I bring to the DPS to get my permit?
What happens if I fail a level assessment?
At the end of Levels 2-13 are level assessments consisting of 10 questions. The questions will be a mix of multiple-choice and true/false questions. You must score at least 70% or better (at least 7 out of 10 questions correct) in order to pass and go on to the next level. If you fail a level assessment, you can take it again. There is no limit on how many times you can take a level assessment and you don’t have to pay again to take a level assessment more than once.
What happens if I fail the final exam?
You’ll take the final exam – or what we call the Course Assessment – at the end of Level 13. This assessment consists of 50 questions. The questions will be a mix of multiple-choice and true/false questions. You must score at least 70% or better (at least 35 out of 50 questions correct) in order to pass and receive a DE-964 Certificate of Completion from Aceable. You have three chances to pass the Course Assessment. After failing the Course Assessment three times, the state requires that you repurchase and restart the course from the very beginning.
When can I get my license?
You can get your license when you meet all of the following requirements:
- You are at least 16 years old.
- You have held your Texas permit for at least six months.
- You have completed all 13 levels of Aceable.
- You have completed 44 hours of behind-the wheel instruction and practice.
- 14 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction are done with a professional driving school
- 30 hours (10 of which are at night) of behind-the-wheel practice are done with any licensed adult 21 years old or older with at least one year of driving experience.
When can I get my permit?
You can go to the DPS to get your permit as long as you meet all of the following requirements:
- You are at least 15 years old.
- You have completed all 13 levels of the Instructor Taught Drivers Ed course and have received your DE-964 Permit Certificate and License Certificate/Certificate of Completion in the mail from Aceable.
When will I get my certificate?
Aceable will e-mail you two DE-964 certificates.One of these certificates is the DE-964 Permit Certificate. You’ll present this at the DPS when you get your permit.*Your Permit Certificate will be marked for the Block Method, meaning that you completed all 32 hours of the course (13 levels) before receiving your DE-964 Permit Certificate and going to the DPS to get your permit.The other certificate is the DE-964 License Certificate/Certificate of Completion. You’ll present this at your driving school as proof that you finished all 32 classroom hours online and again to the DPS when you get your license. You’ll need to print these out, the DPS will not accept it just on your phone screen. The certificates will be emailed to you by the end of the next business day if you finish by 1PM CST Monday-Friday, or 11AM CST on Saturday. We do not process certificates on Sundays.