Texas Residency Affidavit (DL-5)

Whether you’re about to get your driver license or an identification card, you’ll have to head on over to the Department of Public Safety. There are some things you’ll need to bring with you, including: proof of identity, like a birth certificate or proof of a social security number, proof of citizenship, and two proofs of residency. What happens if you don’t happen to have two proofs of residency? Instead, you’ll need to fill out a Texas Residency Affidavit (DL-5).

To fill out the Texas Residency Affidavit, you’ll need someone who lives at the same address as you. This person will need to fill out the Affidavit and provide proper identification and two documents that verify residency.

  • If the person is a family member, they must provide proof of the family relationship. These can be from marriage licenses, birth certificates, adoption records, etc.
  • If the person signing the Affidavit of Residency is not related to the individual applying, that person must accompany the applicant to the DPS.
  • If the person signing the Affidavit is a representative of an entity such as the government, an adult assisted living facility or foster care, that person must have a notarized letter certifying the address of residence of the applicant. This person does not need to come with the applicant.

Also, be sure to check out other information on different documents you’ll need to bring to the DPS.