Replacing a Lost Driver’s License In Texas

Different Forms to Replace a Lost Texas Drivers License

Losing your license sucks so we wrote a step-by-step guide to make the process of replacing your license easier.

Reporting your license as lost or stolen in Texas

The first step after losing or having your license stolen is reporting it to your local TX Police Department. The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) requires that you report your license as lost or stolen to your local Police Department. You can use the police report to request a brand new license or ID number instead of just a duplicate license so that you can further protect your identity.

Applying for a Replacement Driver’s License in person at the DPS

The next step is going into your local Department of Public Safety office (DPS), not the DMV office, and applying for a replacement drivers license.

NOTE: The Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) are two different agencies. The DMV handles matters related to your vehicles such as registration, title, or license plates. The DPS handles certification and enforcement such as drivers Licenses, non-driver identification cards, or driver license replacement.

You will need to bring the following:

  • Acceptable proof of ID
  • 1 Primary Document


  • 2 Secondary forms of ID


  • 1 secondary form and 2 supporting documents
  • Payment for the $11 fee
  • Social Security Number (SSN) and proof of SSN if it is not on file with the DPS

Once at the DPS you will fill out this form, and provide the above items.

If you are not a United States citizen you will need to bring one of the following additional forms of Identification:

  • Valid Permanent Resident card (often called a green card)
  • Valid Foreign Passport with immigrant visa and ADIT stamp

Primary Identity Documents:

The DPS defines the following documents as Primary Identity documents

  • Texas driver license or Texas identification card did not expire more than 2 years
  • Proof of citizenship will be required if not previously established
  • Unexpired U.S. passport book or card
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization (N-560, N-561, N-645, N-550, N-55G, N-570, or N-578)
  • Unexpired Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services document with verifiable data and identifiable photo, such as one of the following:
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)
  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
  • Foreign passport with attached temporary I-551 (immigrant visa endorsed with ADIT stamp)
  • Temporary Resident Identification Card (I-688)
  • Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Travel Document (I-327 or I-571)
  • Advance Parole Document (I-512 or I-512L)
  • I-94 stamped Sec. 208 Asylee with photo
  • I-94 stamped Sec. 207 Refugee with photo
  • Refugee Travel Letter with photo, stamped by Customs and Border Protection
  • American Indian Card (I-872)
  • Northern Mariana Card (I-873)
  • Foreign passport with attached visa and Form I-94
  • Unexpired U.S. military ID card for active duty, reserve, or retired personnel with identifiable photo

Secondary Identity Documents:

The DPS defines the following documents as secondary Identity Documents

  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate
  • Certificate of Report of Birth or Consular Report of Birth for US citizens born abroad
  • Original or certified copy of a court order with name and date of birth indicating a name and/or gender change from a U.S. state, U.S. territory, the District of Columbia, or a Canadian province

Supporting Identity Documents:

The following documents are defined by the DPS as supporting identity documents

  • Social security card
  • Form W-2 or 1099
  • Driver license or ID card issued by another U.S. state, U.S. territory, the District of Columbia or Canadian province (unexpired or expired less than two years)*
  • Texas driver license or ID card that has been expired more than two years
  • Temporary Texas driver license or ID card
  • School records* (e.g., report cards, photo ID cards)
  • Unexpired U.S. military dependent identification card
  • Original or certified copy of marriage license or divorce decree (if the document is not in English, a certified translation must accompany it)
  • Voter registration card*
  • Pilot license*
  • Concealed handgun license or License to Carry*
  • A professional license issued by a Texas state agency
  • non-driver ID card issued by a government agency*
  • Consular documents issued by a state or national government
  • Texas Inmate ID card or similar form of ID issued by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice
  • Texas Department of Criminal Justice parole or mandatory release certificate
  • Federal inmate identification card
  • Federal parole or release certificate
  • Medicare or Medicaid card
  • Selective Service card
  • Immunization records*
  • Tribal membership card from a federally-recognized tribe
  • Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood
  • Unexpired foreign passport
  • Unexpired insurance policy valid for the past two years (e.g., auto, home or life insurance)
  • Current Texas vehicle registration or title
  • Current Texas boat registration or title
  • Veteran's ID card issued by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
  • Abstract (shortened) birth certificate
  • Hospital-issued birth record*
  • Military records (e.g., Form DD-214, DD-215, NGB-22)

*The document must be issued by an institution, entity, or government from a U.S. state, a U.S. territory, the District of Columbia, or a Canadian province.