We teach you a lot in our driver education courses, but there are some really bizarre traffic laws we don't cover simply because they're so, well, weird. We've compiled a list of our favorite mind-blowing traffic laws for your reading enjoyment. Whether or not these laws are actually enforced, we're not totally sure, but they still make for an entertaining read.
- You can't honk your car horn at any restaurant that serves sandwiches or drinks after 9 p.m. in Arkansas.
- You can't drive with a gorilla in your backseat in Massachusetts. Sorry Harambe.. oh.. wait. (too soon?)
- Frowning at a police officer is apparently illegal in New Jersey. Turn that frown upside down.
- Birds have the right of way on all highways in Utah. If you're terrified of birds like me, you probably give them the right of way anyways. Unpredictable little creatures.
- If you're driving on the sidewalk in Oregon, you have to give pedestrians the right of way. Read that one again if you missed the "driving on the sidewalk" part. Wut?
- You can also get a ticket in Oregon if you leave your car door open for too long.
- It's illegal to cross state lines with a duck on your head in Minnesota. Sorry to spoil your weekend plans.
- It's illegal for a chicken to cross the road in Georgia. Does that mean chicken crossing the road jokes are out too? Because we love a good dad joke.
- Women can't drive in a housecoat in California. Someone call the fashion police. Or the regular police?
- Running into a pedestrian in Sarasota, Florida will only result in a $78 fine. But maybe you just act like a nice person and don't hit anyone with your car regardless of financial penalties. K thanks.
- You can drive the wrong way down a one way street in Alabama, but ONLY if you have a lantern attached to the front of your vehicle. Um.. okay.
- If you're in Glendale, California, you could get in trouble for jumping out of a car going 65 miles per hour. But we recommend you avoid doing this anyways. Because going to the hospital isn't very fun.
- If you live in Florida you had better not forget to feed the parking meter if you tie your elephant, alligator or goat to it.
- It's illegal to ride a camel in Nevada. There goes your ride to school, sorry 'bout it.
- You're not supposed to get undressed in your car in Sag Harbor, New York. But also maybe just don't do that in public anywhere. Like, ever.