We teach you a lot in our driver education courses, but there are some really bizarre traffic laws we don’t cover simply because they’re so, well, weird. We’ve compiled a list of our favorite mind-blowing traffic laws for your reading enjoyment. Whether or not these laws are actually enforced, we’re not totally sure, but they still make for an entertaining read.
- You can’t honk your car horn at any restaurant that serves sandwiches or drinks after 9 p.m. in Arkansas.
- You can’t drive with a gorilla in your backseat in Massachusetts. Sorry Harambe.. oh.. wait. (too soon?)
- Frowning at a police officer is apparently illegal in New Jersey. Turn that frown upside down.
- Birds have the right of way on all highways in Utah. If you’re terrified of birds like me, you probably give them the right of way anyways. Unpredictable little creatures.
- If you’re driving on the sidewalk in Oregon, you have to give pedestrians the right of way. Read that one again if you missed the “driving on the sidewalk” part. Wut?
- You can also get a ticket in Oregon if you leave your car door open for too long.
- It’s illegal to cross state lines with a duck on your head in Minnesota. Sorry to spoil your weekend plans.
- It’s illegal for a chicken to cross the road in Georgia. Does that mean chicken crossing the road jokes are out too? Because we love a good dad joke.
- Women can’t drive in a housecoat in California. Someone call the fashion police. Or the regular police?
- Running into a pedestrian in Sarasota, Florida will only result in a $78 fine. But maybe you just act like a nice person and don’t hit anyone with your car regardless of financial penalties. K thanks.
- You can drive the wrong way down a one way street in Alabama, but ONLY if you have a lantern attached to the front of your vehicle. Um.. okay.
- If you’re in Glendale, California, you could get in trouble for jumping out of a car going 65 miles per hour. But we recommend you avoid doing this anyways. Because going to the hospital isn’t very fun.
- If you live in Florida you had better not forget to feed the parking meter if you tie your elephant, alligator or goat to it.
- It’s illegal to ride a camel in Nevada. There goes your ride to school, sorry ’bout it.
- You’re not supposed to get undressed in your car in Sag Harbor, New York. But also maybe just don’t do that in public anywhere. Like, ever.
Stay in touch
Sign up to learn more about drivers ed and get exclusive offers