Registering Other Types of Vehicles in Texas

Want to register your boat, ATV, moped, or motorhome? We wrote a step-by-step guide on how to register those vehicles and more!

Registering Other Types of Vehicles in Texas

Registering your Boat In Texas

Boat Registration in Texas is handled by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) and not the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Boat Registration Requirements

The below boats and vessels are required to have registration:

  • Any USCG documented vessels
  • All Motorized boats
  • All sailboats that are 14 feet or longer or any sailboat with an auxiliary engine.

The general rule of thumb is that if the vessel or boat has an engine then it needs a registration.

Check out the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department website for more specifics about Boat Registration Requirements.

You can register your boat or vessel on the TPWD website. To do so you will need the following:

  • A Visa, mastercard, or discover card
  • Your TPWD ID number knows as your TX number
  • The last name of the 1st owner listed or the business name
  • The Serial number of the boat or the title number
  • Date of Birth OR EIN
  • Driver License Number or ID number

Moped Registration

If your Moped is on the Texas Department of Public Safety approved list of mopeds then all you will need to do is have your manufacturer certificate of origin. Then follow the instructions to register any vehicle in Texas.

ATV’s and Off-Highway Vehicles

All Terrain Vehicles (for recreational use) are not required to be registered but do need to be titled.

Off-Highway motorcycles do not need to be registered but do need to be titled.

Motor Home Registration

Motor Homes will need to be registered at your local county tax assessor-collector office. The registration fee is based on the weight of your vehicle. You will need proof of liability insurance and proof of inspection to register the motor home.