How Do You Change Your Name & Address in Ohio?

Life changes. Whether you are moving within the state, new to Ohio, or simply need to update your “status” because of life events, here’s what you need to know.

New to Town

Important note: You have 30 days from moving to the state to [get your Ohio drivers license](

Unlike your previous state, that likes has a DMV. Ohio calls their office the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles). You will need to visit a BMV office in person the first time you are switching to an OH state license. You can find your closest office here. If you are 21 or over, you will pay $23 for your new license (valid for 4 years).

What will you need to bring to the office? You will need documents that prove your: name, (including name change, if applicable), date of birth, social security number, legal presence in the U.S., and Ohio residency. The easiest way to guarantee that you are able to verify your identity and legal presence in the US is to bring your Social Security Card and your birth certificate. To prove where you live, you can use a bank statement, credit card record, or a school certified record.

If you don’t have these documents, there are some alternatives available to you. Your social security number can also be verified through a certified school record, a W-2 statement from your job, or official medical record. Name, birth date, and legal residency in the US can also be proven through a passport, if you have one. To view a full list of acceptable documents, check out the BMV approved list here. As long as your previous out-of-state driver's license is valid when you visit the BMV, your won’t need to take a driving exam. Yay!

You will also take a vision screening test and, of course, make sure you arrive photo ready!

Moving Within The State

Important note: You are required to notify the BMV of your address change within 10 days of moving.

If you are simply moving to a new town or out of town but previously were an Ohio resident, you have a few options of how to notify the BMV. For each option, you will need to have handy your:

  • Full name.
  • Birth date.
  • Ohio driver's license or ID card number.
  • Previous address.
  • New address.

Using this info, you can:

  1. Complete/submit an online form here.
  2. Print out this form from their site. Fill it out and mail the hard copy in.
    1. Mailing Address: Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles Deputy Registrar Services P.O. Box 16520 Columbus, OH 43216
  3. Visit a local office in person to submit your address change. Find a local office here.

Updating Your Status - Name Change

If you had a recent status update and need to legally change your name, due to marriage, divorce, or court order, your first stop is a Social Security Administration office. You will then also need to notify the Ohio BMV.

To update your name on your social security card, you can do so in-person or via mail (for free). Unfortunately, there is not an online easy button for this one. What you will need:

  • Completed Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • A document proving your name change: marriage certificate, divorce decree, or a court order.
  • Proof of your identity: U.S. driver’s license, passport, or an Ohio ID card.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship: U.S. birth certification, citizenship or naturalization certification

Even though the OH BMV does not determine fault in an accident, it will be evident from your driver record that a moving violation that also has points on the same date suggests you were at fault. If you were not at fault, the moving violation will appear on the record but no points will be included on that same date.

For a list of all acceptable documents, visit this site. Important Note: All documents must be originals or certified copies. They will be mailed back to you (if sent by mail) and your new card should arrive within 10 business days of processing (your SSNumber will remain the same). Next, you will visit your local BMV and will need a similar set of documents and $24.50 to make it happen:

  • Your current driver's license.
  • Your new Social Security card.
  • The proof you used before for your name change.

Each time you get a new license, you will be asked if you would like to be an organ donor. As an organ donor, you could save up to 8 lives and touch hundreds more! Bonus: it’s free!

Photos in order of appearance: Pixabay , Giphy

Krista Doyle
Learn more about drivers ed and get exclusive offers