Ohio BMV Guide
The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) is a government organization that serves residents of the Buckeye State with all things driving related. It handles similar responsibilities held by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in other states. If you’re looking to get an Ohio drivers license or learners permit, register your vehicle or renew your plates, you’ll need to visit a BMV office or testing station at some point.
Ohio Teen Drivers Ed
Ace your Ohio written test with this course – packed with memes, videos, and interactive learning tools to make sure you become a world-class driver!
Ohio BMV Office Locations
Wherever you live, there is a BMV office near you. Select your county from the list below to find the nearest location.
Driver Licenses & Lerners Permits
- Ohio Drivers Ed Before you head to the BMV to get your permit, complete the classroom portion on Ohio drivers education from your smartphone or computer
- Ohio Drivers Ed Course Guide Everything You need to know about completing drivers ed, behind-the-wheel instruction and earning your license in Ohio.
- How To Get An Ohio Learner’s Permit & Driver License Follow our step-by-step guide and you’ll be driving in no time.
- Graduated Driver License Guide – Ages 18 and Under Everything Ohio teens need to know about Temporary Instruction Permit Identification Card (TIPIC) knowledge tests, vision screening and everything else needed to obtain a license or permit.
- Renewing Your License A driver license that is expired less than six months can be renewed at any deputy registrar license agency. If the license expired more than six months ago, additional testing is required.
- Commercial Driver Licenses Requirements Learn about knowledge tests, skills tests, and other requirements to obtain or renew a CDL in Ohio.
- Motorcycle, Moped and Motorized Bicycle Licenses Anyone operating a motorcycle in Ohio must hold a valid motorcycle license. Mopeds and motorized bicycle have separate rules and licensing requirements.
Registering Your Vehicle in Ohio
- Ohio BMV Fees and Charges Learners permits, vision tests and many other BMV services have individual fees. Find all of them in this helpful PDF.
- Vehicle Registration
- New Registrations How to register card, trucks, busses and other vehicles for the first time.
- Vehicle Registration RenewalInformation about renewing registration on owned, leased and commercial vehicles.
- Multi-Year and Staggered Registrations A multi-year registration may extend from two to five years. All regular registration fees are due at the time of issuance.
- Specialized Interest Plates Ohio offers a wide variety of personalized plates and special interest designs, including sports teams, military recognition and more.
- Drivers with Excessive Tickets Excluded from Registration (DETER) The BMV registrarmay block a motor vehicle registration for failure to pay parking violations. In order to remove the registration blocks, all outstanding judgments must be paid in full, in addition to a $5.00 BMV fee per judgment.
- International Registration Plan (IRP) An agreement allowing a motor carrier to register commercial vehicle fleets for travel in all IRP jurisdictions by filing paperwork with the home jurisdiction.
- Other Types of Vehicles Registration requirements for All-Purpose Vehicles (APVs), Off-Road Motorcycles and Snowmobiles.
- Online Registration Renew your registration and plates conveniently, register as an organ donor view your driving record and more with the Ohio BMV’s helpful online services.
- Imporatant Ohio BMV Forms Download important forms you need before visiting the BMV. Ohio provides most documents in English, Spanish, Somoli, and audio format for the hearing impaired.
- Fifty Hour Affidavit Teens must complete 50 hours of behind-the-wheel practice with a parents or legal guardians. The parent or guardian must fill out a Fifty Hour Affidavit and get it notarized to be presented at the Driver Exam Station.
- Proof of Residency This form must be completed when the applicant for an Ohio driver license cannot provide proof of an Ohio street address through documents listed on the Ohio BMV acceptable documents list.
- BMV Acceptable Documents A list of documents approved to verify your identity, U.S. citizenship and more when visiting the DMV.
- Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws Handbook Everything you need to know about the laws of operating a vehicle in the state of Ohio.
- This manual provides driver license testing information for those who wish to earn a commercial drivers license (CDL)
- Ohio DUI Laws & Rules Ohio laws, fines, and other punishments for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Ohio BMV Locations Find the Ohio BMV office, driver license reinstatement center or driver exam station closest to you.
- Mandatory Insurance Requirements All Ohio drivers must be insured and carry proof of minimum insurance requirements while driving.
- Emission Testing The Clean Air Act requires Ohioans to abide by laws requiring vehicle inspection and maintenance. These laws control emissions and ensure Ohio meets air quality standards required in the United States. Learn more and find a testing station near you.
- New Ohio Resident Registration and Licensing Everything you need to know about vehicle registration and licensing when moving to Ohio.
- Update Address Changing the address on your Ohio driver license has never been easier! Use this online system to complete your change of information in minutes.