Acceptable Documents to Obtain your License in California
Getting your license is supposed to be a breeze but it can get difficult if you forget to bring the right documents! So we’ve made a list of all the documents you need to bring to the California DMV!
You will need to provide proof of your Social Security Number; the following are acceptable documents:
- Social Security Card
- Military ID Card
You will also need to show proof of your full legal name this can be any of the documents that you use to prove your birth date and legal status. As well as documents that show marriage, divorce, or name change.
California Drivers Ed
Earn your California drivers license faster than ever. Take our course online. Unlimited practice tests included.
California Traffic Violator School
Mask your speeding ticket or earn a auto insurance discount. No timers, means complete at your own pace and as fast as possible.
You will also need to provide 1 document that is original or certified that proves your birth date and legal status; the following are acceptable documents:
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- U.S. Passport
- US Birth Certificate US Certificate of Birth Abroad or Report of Birth Abroad
- USCIS American Indian Card
- Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory
- A valid US Passport or US Passport Card
- US Military Identification Cards
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
- USCIS US Citizen ID Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- Temporary Resident Identification Card
- A valid Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate
- Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
- Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)
- Refugee travel document
- Employment Authorization Card (I-776)
You will need to provide 2 documents to prove California residency; the following are acceptable documents:
- Rental or lease agreement with the signatures of the owner/landlord and the tenant/resident.
- Deed or title to residential real property.
Find more info at the California DMV website.